Clothing Storage - Smart Storage Solutions
21 December 2020
The first rule of full-time RV club is don’t talk about full-time RV club. Actually, just kidding: nothing could be further from the truth. That’s why we are always sharing our tips for successful full-time RV living.
However, if there is a #1 rule for full-time RVers it would be to bring only what you truly need. This is pretty much the golden rule of living full-time in an RV. But what about when you do not need an item until you REALLY need it? For example, seasonal winter apparel.
In this article, we will be sharing some smart storage solutions for your seasonal apparel, both for storing your winter clothes in your rig and for storing your clothes somewhere else. For more storage tips, check out our other articles Smart Storage Solutions for RV Living and Downsizing for Full Time RV Living.
Storing seasonal apparel inside your RV:
1. Add drawers to the bottom of your closets to fully use the empty space below your hanging clothes.
3. Stacking storage bins
4. Hooks on inside of closet doors
5. Hanging Storage Cubbies
6. Space Saving Hangers
Storing seasonal apparel outside your RV:
Ask a friend with an extra closet
- Humidity and moisture is not an issue since you are storing clothes inside a temperature controlled house.
- You will get to see your friends whenever you need to switch clothes for the season.
- Your friends may want their closet back eventually.
- You have to go to the location to switch seasonal clothes.
- You know your friends and whether this is a request that you feel comfortable asking.
Rent a storage unit
- Your storage method will last as long as you pay for it.
- You don’t have to rely on your RV’s storage area or on friends.
- Humidity and moisture can damage clothes if not stored correctly.
- You have to go to the location of your storage unit when you need to change seasons.
- It costs money.
- Use plastic boxes and seal it up with tape.
- Don’t store shoes in the same box.
Thrift new seasonal clothes every year
Each year, find new warm apparel in the closest thrift store or used online. When the winter season ends, donate your thrifted cold weather clothes. Voila, no storage space onboard needed! And the cost you would have spent on a storage unit can go towards the purchase of your new used apparel.
- No storage costs.
- Each season you will have a new look.
- You’ll have to find thrift store clothes every year.
- What you find each year may vary.
- Try Poshmark, Facebook Marketplace, or Craigslist to find exactly what you need.
Learning from those who have figured out some storage hacks for their seasonal apparel while living full-time in their rig is the best way to save yourself a little headache and confusion. You do not have to reinvent the wheel here. Pick the method that works for you, then enjoy the cooler weather and the RV life!